Sunday, October 16, 2005

a present

Well, yesterday was my birthday, and consequential here only because I was lucky enough to get a present: a copy of "The Titan", from my wonderful spouse, who has found herself having to sit through many one-sided discussions and readings based on or from some of the novels... She said she doesn't mind...

Anyway, I liked The Financier. I thought Frank Cowperwood was cool. He was tough without being mean. He liked life, the arts, beauty. Of course he was also a crook, spending 13 months in the big house, but, hey, it's business.

Then, whose name jumped out at me as I flipped through the pages of my new copy of The Titan?! Frank's! Really. I didn't know that The Titan starts where The Financier ends. You see, my birthday present will be a friendly companion for quite some time. Just think of how many chores will not get done, how many leaves will not be raked... My copy of The Titan is 552 pages.

But I am digressing because first I have to finish Sister Carrie. I am at the point where she is getting ready for her first theatrical appearance, a benefit presentation for Drouet's lodge.

Which book are you reading now?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have started reading THE FINANCIER. The beautiful writing has already made me eager to read more.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home