Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Back at it...

Hello all. It was a struggle to get back to my blog. Not just for "creative" reasons but because the blogmaster has changed access and told me that the whole blog experience was "upgraded" with all sorts of new and improved things. But, of course, I couldn't remember by user name or password so, well, you know, just the old run-around.

At any rate, this is just a short post because I can't stay too long. But I just wanted to say that one reason I haven't posted any entries is because I haven't read anything by Dreiser for a while. But that's changed and so it's time to get going again. See you tomorrow or the next day, watch for comments about the short stories... some good, some not so good...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How odd that there should be a blog devoted to the works of Theodore Dreiser. I've been a fan of his ever since I read The Financier when I was about 14. I actually think this novel and The Titan are probably the best novels with a business background ever written. The Stoic failed in my opinion, all the usual Dreiser metaphysics and highly ornamented prose but not a very exciting leading character or strong plot to drive the novel as is the case with the two earlier books in the trilogy. Cowperwood is simply a fascinating and enormously powerful character and it's long surprised me that one or both of the novels have not been turned into a movie.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Dave Zarkin said...

olvI am taking a class on finance and literature and just finished "The Financier" which I will review shortly on my blog, cheezymovies.blogspot.com
I find that this novel provides rich insight into the personalities of young Wall Street sharks who devised exotic schemes that have helped decimate our retirement savings.
How incredibly relevant is this 1912 novel given the impending collapse of Citigroup and General Motors.

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home